- MyRechemical, a leader in waste-to-chemical solutions, has signed an MoU with Colacem to valorize inert granulate obtained from the chemical conversion of waste in the cement production, maximizing circularity
- The agreement will help reduce CO2 emissions in the cement production
Milan, 23 January 2024 – MAIRE announces that NEXTCHEM (Sustainable Technology Solutions), through its subsidiary MyRechemical, a leader in waste-to-chemical technology solutions, and Colacem, a major Italian cement producer, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to valorize the inert granulate derived from the waste-to-chemical process by reusing it in cement production. The agreement will apply to all MyRechemical’s waste-to-chemical initiatives to be implemented in Italy.
A research by University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, supported by laboratory tests carried out by Colacem, confirmed that inert granulate deriving from waste-to-chemical process can be effectively re-used as raw material for the production of cement.
According to the agreement, MyRechemical will supply the inert granulate resulting from its waste-to-chemical process to Colacem, thus maximizing the material recovery and minimizing its landfill disposal. In this way, MyRechemical will be able to reach a conversion rate of approximately 95% of the processed waste, reducing the amount of remaining waste to be disposed into landfill to 5%, well below the 10% target set by the European Union for 2035. Colacem, in turn, will contribute to the decarbonization of its industrial process by using a circular material, in line with its sustainability plan.
Alessandro Bernini, MAIRE CEO, commented: “We are happy to increase our collaborations with major industrial players to accelerate the decarbonization of hard-to-abate sectors, thanks to our role of energy transition technology enabler.”
Giacomo Rispoli, MyRechemical Managing Director, added: “Through our technology, we will implement with Colacem an innovative circular solution which will enable MyRechemical to exceed for the first time the 90% EU target of waste transformed into valuable products in the industry, reducing at the same time the CO2 footprint of the cement sector”.